Year 1 (2019-2020)
Research collaboration; Research training at all levels; Establishing partnerships with ongoing local data science and machine learning organizations and activities, both academic and in industry.
- Machine Learning in Medicine Seminars (virtual) has been expanded to include our institute and both universities.
- Machine Learning in Medicine Symposium planning is underway but will need to move to a virtual format.
- Partnerships with the University of Rochester Goergen Institute for Data Science (GIDS) and the Cornell Center for Data Science for Enterprise and Society have been established.
- REU for mathematics of data science is being run (virtually) now. Click here for details.
Key Outcomes or Other Achievements
- Establishment of a COVID-19 working group, published paper and had significant local media coverage of this research effort.
- Tripods NSF REU/Grad for All 2020: The goal of Grad For All is to empower and further inspire all interested students from colleges and universities in Western New York area to pursue advanced degrees in all fields. We are especially looking to involve traditionally under-represented groups, including women and underrepresented minorities. Our goal is to provide these students with the information, skills and training needed to succeed in graduate school, academic careers, and industry. Click here for details.
- CAMSAP’19 tutorial: Connecting The Dots: Identifying Network Structure Of Complex Data Via Graph Signal Processing https://camsap19.ig.umons.ac.be/tutorials.php
- Wagner, A. B., Hill, E. L., Ryan, S. E., Sun, Z., Deng, G., Bhadane, S., Martinez, V. H., Wu, P., Li, D., Anand, A., Acharya, J., & Matteson, D. S. (2020). Social distancing merely stabilized COVID-19 in the US. Stat (International Statistical Institute), e302. Advance online publication. DOI
- Blanca, A., Chen, Z., Stefankovic, D., and Vigoda, E. (2020). Hardness of Identity Testing for Restricted Boltzmann Machines and Potts models. Proceedings of Machine Learning Research, vol 125, pages 514-529. PMLR. pdf
- Davidow, M. and Matteson, D. S. (2020). Factor analysis of mixed data for anomaly detection. arXiv
- Frank, A. S., Lupattelli, A., Matteson, D. S., Meltzer, H. M., and Nordeng, H. (2020). Thyroid hormone replacement therapy patterns in pregnant women and perinatal outcomes in the ospring. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety, 29(1):111-121.
- Frank, A.-S. J., Matteson, D. S., Solvang, H. K., Lupattelli, A., and Nordeng, H. (2020). Extending balance assessment for the generalized propensity score under multiple imputation. Epidemiologic Methods, 9(1).
- Gelsinger, M. L., Tupper, L. L., and Matteson, D. S. (2019). Cell line classification using electric cell-substrate impedance sensing (ecis). The International Journal of Biostatistics, 16(1).
- Tang, B. and Matteson, D. S. (2020). Graph-based continual learning. International Conference on Learning Representations. arXiv
- Wu, H. and Matteson, D. S. (2020). Adaptive bayesian changepoint analysis and local anomaly detection. arXiv
- Zhang, W., Grin, M., and Matteson, D. S. (2020). Modeling nonlinear growth followed by long-memory equilibrium with unknown change point. arXiv
- Wagner, Aaron B. and Shende, Nirmal V. and Altug, Yucel (2020). A New Method for Employing Feedback to Improve Coding Performance. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, v.66. DOI
- Wagner, Aaron B. and Balle, Johannes (2021). Neural Networks Optimally Compress the Sawbridge. Data Compression Conference. DOI
- Wu, Benjamin and Wagner, Aaron B. and Suh, G. Edward and Issa, Ibrahim (2020). Strong Asymptotic Composition Theorems for Sibson Mutual Information. 2020 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT). DOI
- Mohammadi, Narges and Doyley, Marvin M. and Cetin, Mujdat (2020). A Statistical Framework for Model-Based Inverse Problems in Ultrasound Elastography. Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers. DOI
- Koebnick, Corinna and Saksvig, Brit and Li, Xia and Sidell, Margo and Wu, Tong Tong and Young, Deborah R. (2020). The Accuracy of Self-Reported Body Weight Is High but Dependent on Recent Weight Change and Negative Affect in Teenage Girls. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health , v.17. DOI
- Marques, Antonio G. and Segarra, Santiago and Mateos, Gonzalo (2020). Signal Processing on Directed Graphs: The Role of Edge Directionality When Processing and Learning From Network Data. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine , v.37. DOI
- Chang, Jinyuan and Chen, Song Xi and Tang, Cheng Yong and Wu, Tong Tong (2020). High-dimensional empirical likelihood inference. Biometrika, v.108. DOI
- Ren, Jingxuan and Ramirez, Gabriel A. and Proctor, Ashley R. and Wu, Tong Tong and Benoit, Danielle S. W. and Choe, Regine (2020). Spatial frequency domain imaging for the longitudinal monitoring of vascularization during mouse femoral graft healing. Biomedical Optics Express, v.11. DOI
- Lassance, Carlos and Gripon, Vincent and Mateos, Gonzalo (2020). Graph Topology Inference Benchmarks for Machine Learning. 2020 IEEE 30th International Workshop on Machine Learning for Signal Processing (MLSP). DOI
- Shafipour, Rasoul and Mateos, Gonzalo (2020). Online Topology Inference from Streaming Stationary Graph Signals with Partial Connectivity Information. Algorithms, v.13. DOI
- Guth, Larry and Iosevich, Alex and Ou, Yumeng and Wang, Hong (2020). On Falconer’s distance set problem in the plane. Inventiones mathematicae, v.219. DOI